Water Damage in Portland
Water damage is traumatic, often to homeowners as much as their house. The first time you see the water damage is a shock; you may not know where to start in repairing it. However, there are steps you can take in the immediate time after a flood, burst pipe, or other damage that will make it easier to repair your home and move on with your life.
1. Stop the influx of water. You cannot repair water damage while water is still entering your home. If there is a pipe leak or other repair issue, turn off the water supply and have the problem repaired. If the damage is from a storm or flood, use sand bags or other ways of reducing the water. In some cases, people have to wait out the deluge when water damage is caused by a natural disaster.
2. Call your insurance company. It is important to know from the beginning what types of water damage your insurance company covers, as well as whether they will cover water removal and other services. Even if this is not an incident covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy, your insurance agent can still offer you advice.
3. Dry out your home. Standing water and wet upholstery can breed dangerous microbes in just 24 hours, so fast water removal is crucial to your future health. Mop or use a wet vac, bag up clothing and textiles, and throw away things like mattresses that hold moisture and cannot easily be cleaned. Open all windows and turn on fans. This will limit the growth of mold and bacteria while also limiting your exposure to whatever microbes are already present.
4. Call in the experts. Call professional mold inspectors who can look for remaining water in areas where it hides and immediately dry it out.
Water damage can be successfully dealt with if you immediately remove water where you can see it and have an expert deal with it where you can’t. Soon you will be once again enjoying a safe and dry home.
Water Damage Restoration
Basement flooding or storm damage doesn't wait for regular business hours and neither do we. We respond to your residential or commercial water removal and cleanup needs. Our fast response time and advanced drying methods help prevent secondary damage and mold. Common causes of water damage are:
- Flooding caused by severe weather
- Plumbing leaks
- Sink, bathtub or toilet overflow
- Sewage backup