If you house is affected by a storm reach out to your local SERVPRO
When most people think of summer they think of warm weather and lake days. While those are all positives there are some negative sides of the summer season. Summer brings a higher percentage of thunderstorms. In the summer, thunderstorms typically develop in the afternoon when the sun heats air near the ground. If the atmosphere is unstable, bubbles of warm air will rise and produce clouds, precipitation, and eventually lightning. This blog will focus on the three ingredients that cause a thunderstorm.
Without moisture there would be no thunderstorms. In the summertime, most areas of the United States have sufficient moisture to generate thunderstorms if the other ingredients are present.
Rising air is needed to produce clouds, and rapidly rising air is needed to produce thunderstorms. For air to rise rapidly, it must become buoyant compared to the surrounding air. When the atmosphere is unstable, air near the ground can become buoyant and rise rapidly through the atmosphere.
Trigger in Atmosphere
This may be some sort of boundary such as a front, heating caused by the sun, or cooling aloft. Once a thunderstorm has developed, it will continue to generate boundaries that can trigger additional storms.
Fast Response Time
A fast response time can save money during restoration
There are many different qualities your restoration company should excel in. The most common ones are industry knowledge, communication, and reliability. If you stay consistent in these specific lanes each job will go smooth. However, there is another big quality that doesn't get talked about enough in the restoration field. That is response time. This measures how fast a restoration company can get onsite from the initial call.
A fast response time can be the difference of thousands of dollars of damage. Here is an example. Customer 1 had a water damage in their kitchen that affected the hardwood floor. They called SERVPRO for emergency services. Because of our fast response time we were able to stop the leak quickly and immediately place equipment to facilitate drying. We were able to save the hardwood floors because of the fast response time.
Customer 2 did not directly call SERVPRO. They called 3 different companies and wanted estimates before any work was to be done. By the time this process took place their hardwood floor began to buckle. Because of this their hardwood couldn't be restored and needed to be removed and replaced. This could potentially cost three times as much as restoring the original hardwood.
When deciding on which restoration vendor to use for your home or business make sure you ask about their response time. Although it might seem like a minor quality it can save you a lot of time and stress during a damage.
Benefits of Commercial Air Duct Cleanings
Having your air ducts cleaned at your home or business is a benefit
During this time of year its important that your HVAC unit is operating properly. There is nothing worse then waking up in the middle of the night sweating because your air conditioner isn't working. This can also be a major issue on the commercial side. This blog will focus on the benefits of having you commercial air ducts cleaned regularly.
- Better air quality: You want the air in your commercial building to always be fresh and clean. When your ducts are dirty, they're lowering the air quality in your space.
- Reduces fire risk from clogged air ducts: When you run the heat in the colder months, heated air moves through your air ducts. This heat has the potential to cause a fire if the air ducts are too dirty. You don't want to put your employees or commercial building at risk with a fire hazard.
- Increase the energy efficiency of your HVAC system: It seems like each year the cost of your utility bills increases. When your ducts are clean, the air passes more easily through them. The system doesn't need to work as hard to push the air, and this can lower your electric and gas bills, depending on the type of heating.
- Lowers the number of employee call-outs due to illness: It's no secret that pollutants in the air create poor air quality. Your employees may experience more allergies or breathing problems when the air quality is lower, meaning that they stay home while they get better. With improved air quality, you might see the number of people missing work begin to lower.
- Removes or reduces unpleasant odors: Does your commercial building have a smell that you can't get rid of? It might be because the source is inside your air duct system. Cleaning the air ducts on a regular schedule helps airflow more properly throughout your building and minimizes any unpleasant scents.
Tornado Watch vs Tornado Warning
Its important to understand the difference between a tornado watch and a warning
With spring storms in full effect I thought it would be a good idea to create a blog that dives down to the difference between a tornado watch vs a tornado warning. These terms get thrown around quite a bit during this time so I think its important to have an understanding on the difference.
The best example I've heard that shows how they differ is to think of it in cooking terms. Instead of using the term tornado we will use tacos. A taco warning means all the ingredients are there but there are no tacos yet. Meaning you have a shell, meat, and toppings all separate but they are available.
A taco watch meaning all the ingredients are put together and the taco is here and ready to be eaten. This same comparison is true for a tornado warning.
Important Qualities in Water Restoration
Call SERVPRO when your house has a damage
This blog will focus on a few qualities that anyone in the restoration field should consider. This industry is fast paced and always changing. Its important to know what your doing, but also be open to trying new techniques.
Whether you are a technician in the field, or working on the office side of things, communication is key. Make sure everyone knows their job and how to do it. Also, make sure all the stakeholders on the job are updated daily on progress and what to expect next.
Just because you have been in restoration for years doesn't mean you should stop sharpening your skills. There are numerous classes and certificates that can be obtained to help you increase your knowledge and skill.
If you don't document it, it never happened. We live by that statement at our office. Everything you do on a job site needs to be documented. This also circles back to communication. If the documentation is good for a job everything else will go smooth with it.
When Storms Hit Hendersonville SERVPRO is Ready
When storms hit Hendersonville SERVPRO is ready to help
SERVPRO of Sumner county specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Hendersonville, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 615-672-1905.
Growing Repairs Division
Not only can we perform the mitigation but we offer repair work as well
Did you know that when you have a damage in your Sumner County home, mitigation and repairs are two separate estimates and divisions? Did you know that you have a choice in the contractor that you choose to hire? Did you know that not all mitigation companies and/or franchise locations have a repairs division? These are all great questions to ask when choosing your service provider.
Per insurance standards all mitigation and repairs are treated as separate portions of the claims process. Once the materials are dry from water or cleaned and prepped after a fire the repairs process can begin. Although all Sumner County homeowners have an option to choose the contractor of their choice for the repairs portion of the claim, we find that many residents and business owners like the ease of once company completing both services.
SERVPRO® of Sumner County has a remarkable repairs division that can complete the repairs process for you. We hold a contractor’s license in the state of Tennessee and have awesome staff that are here to answer any questions that you may have throughout the process. Call our office today at 615-822-0200 for more information regarding our construction division.
Just had a water damage. Now What?
Here is what to do until help arrives
If you just walked into your home and business and found standing water this blog is for you. These emergency tips will help you take the proper action until we arrive on the scene. These tips can help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
Water Damage from Clean Water:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, if access to power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Do not enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical hazards.
- Don't use a household vacuum to remove water. This could cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum.
Water Damage from Contaminated Water (i.e. Sewage, Outside Water, etc.)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and any items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through damaged or wet areas. This could increase the possibility of spreading contamination.
- Do not use the HVAC system or fans to dry the structure, as this could spread contaminated air.
- Do not use any products for personal hygiene or cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated area.
What to look for in a restoration company?
SERVPRO is IICRC certified
When choosing a restoration to help out with damage its important to verify what you are looking for. For some people the response time time is key, while others might look for the cheapest cost. There are many different factors that go into to choosing the right company for the job. This blog will focus on the most important reason to call SERVPRO to help with your damage.
There are many restoration companies to choose from when looking for someone to mitigate your home from damages. Unfortunately, not all of those restoration companies hold a certification with the IICRC. When making such a big decision regarding your restoration company you always want to ensure that they are certified with the IICRC and follow industry standards. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification is a certification and standard-setting organization for the inspection, cleaning and restoration industries.
Ensuring that you have chosen a company that has these certifications ensures that you are being provided the highest quality concepts, terminology and procedures recognized in the restoration industry.
Luckily SERVPRO® of Sumner County is IICRC Certified and ready for whatever happens. If you are in need of restoration services call our office at 615-822-0200.
Winter Storm Damage
Make sure you are prepare for winter storms the same way you would for a tornado or flood.
When most people think of storm damage they think of tornadoes and flooding. These are the most common types of storms in our area that we help out with yearly. Winter storms are very common and don't get the same amount of coverage that tornadoes and floods get. This blog will focus on the affects of winter storms and some tips to be prepared.
Winter storms can bring in very high winds. These winds can be just a strong as tornadoes. Its important to make sure your roof is in good shape before a winter storm. Make sure there are no missing shingles. This can lead to water damage.
One of the most common forms of water damage comes from ice damns during winter storms. This is where water freezes in your gutters and has no where to drain when it melts. If you see water spots on your celling after a winter storm please give us a call!
Winter storms can cause a lot of chaos and in some situations could result in death. Its important to treat them the same as a tornado or a flood. Go ahead and have a plan in place and don't hesitate to call us if you need any assistance!